Saturday, September 24, 2016

editor

goals / to do / projects / editor:

build a wysiwyg web editor

I'd like to go into business with you, meaning, be a customer and joint venture partner, but I need to ask whether you would help me develop my software.

Let me explain. What I want to build is consumer facing web hosting. I'm differentiating that, by the way, from what you seem to be doing, by saying that your product is business to business oriented. I seem to have a dizzying array of options if I want b to b oriented web hosting, with yours seeming to stand out, so I want to tip my hat to you for that, but, to continue with my point, I'm not seeing a consumer facing product that does, for me as a user, what I want a product to do for me as a user. I don't want to describe at length the features I'm looking for and not finding in a consumer facing product, here, now, for assorted reasons, but one is I think it might be best to take an incremental approach, so I can describe essentially three features, and then, as I say, I'm wondering whether you would help me develop software to implement those three features ... and host the service for me.

Feature number one is as follows: prospective users can create an account by delivering to us (the company operating the service) a nominal payment, via an online dialog. I need to learn how such a facility is created and operated. To add one level of detail, here, a single payment creates an account and entitles the account holder to create, say, 100 pages, each with its own url. Funded accounts include a certain amount of storage and bandwidth.

The second feature describes what a page is, as described above. A new page displays a blank window, with the following features: a visitor who is logged in for editing can at any time, using a dialog, add to the window space a block of text or an image. Once a block of text or an image has been added, it can be edited in certain ways.

With regards to the addition of and editing of text and images added to pages, this is my primary requirement: the editing environment is the page as it would appear to any visitor, with the editing dialog displayed in its own layer. In effect, on the client side, there would be two DOMs, one representing the editing dialog, the other representing the content. Changes to the content are applied to the content DOM, while simultaneously being recorded on the server side, initially as unsaved changes, then, upon issuance of an update instruction, for delivery to visitors at large.

The third feature is an off line editing mode which also acts as a backup feature, ensuring that users will not lose their work for any reason, including account closure.