Saturday, November 19, 2016

numbers

Using numbers to order a list is problematic. Their meaning is ambiguous at best. The alternative is to be found in the nature of information. Information, as I stated, is a spacial construct. The meaning of an item of information is in part a function of its location in a space. (The meaning of a datum is entirely so.) (I am abusing the word datum. What I mean is a bit, but then I need to add that there are units of data which are not bits, so what I mean is a unit of data.) In a spacial construct meaning is a function of location.

At any rate, the item numbers on the postulates list do not represent the order of the postulates. At present they represent the order of addition of items to the list (and, at present, the locations of the items also represent that).